My name is Serena Brontide and I am SO excited that you are here with me to celebrate the first post on my personal blog, She Ignites!
Each day, I have the distinct pleasure of meeting intelligent, wonderful women who are setting the world on fire as they pursue their dreams. Each one of them come armed with their own experiences, aspirations, and passions. These women are making your coffee, cutting your hair, writing you books, selling your home, and more. They are all around you and they ARE you.
For this post, I would first like to let you know a little bit about myself and my vision for She Ignites going forward. Afterwards, I will dive right into my first post, Choosing Happiness.
As an Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant, I have committed my whole-self to enriching women’s lives. I strive to not only make women feel more confident and beautiful in their skin, but to also encourage them to push their limits and break through the glass ceiling. I have staked my success on a business that allows me to build and restore confidence in those women who inspire me every day.
By writing the She Ignites blog, I hope to reach out and connect with more women and men who are committed to living a better life in a better world! Through this blog, I hope to share with you as I explore and learn more about my crazy, beautiful, chaotic life. I would like to introduce you to some of the exceptional people who I meet on my journey. And, of course, provide advice on how you can feel great about yourself, both inside and out.
Please, please feel free to engage with me through comments or by writing to me. I would love to take your questions, content requests, or chat with you!
Lately, I often feel like I am being bombarded by negative emotions. As each new tragedy hits my news-feed, it becomes more difficult to prevent the grief and anger from taking over. And of course, stress knows no bounds when you are a mother. Yet, in my 28 years, I have learned without a doubt that CHOOSING to be happy can be the difference between success and failure. Believe me, I have learned that the hard way.
By making a conscious effort each day in choosing happiness, you will be able to fend off some of those negative emotions that beg for your attention. I’ve found that it is very seldom that my anger, frustration, or sadness has ever been productive to getting myself out of the situation that has led me down that path in the first place. How about you?
Assess and React
One common misconception about choosing happiness is that people believe that it means you should be happy at all times. But that is, of course, completely unrealistic.
Say, for example, that you are in line for coffee and it is taking an excruciating amount of time to get to the counter. If you’re in a rush (and obviously have not had your coffee), it is understandable that you would begin to feel frustrated and impatient. And given the circumstances, your feelings are justified! However, there is no benefit to you or anyone around you to yell and cause a scene.
By choosing happiness, you would assess that you are feeling frustrated. But then make a decision to react with patience or simply change your plans in a way that will work best for you. After all, it is perfectly possible that there is a good reason for the delay.
Keep in mind that you are riding dead center in your universe, and that can sometimes give us tunnel vision. However, beyond your impatience, you might find a new employee in training, a computer system that has gone down, or a seasoned employee who is simply having a rough morning. We’ve all been there!
As with every new habit, it might take some practice to truly get the hang of choosing happiness. And it is important to note that even once you are an expert, there are still days that you will struggle. And that’s perfectly alright! The BEST thing that you can do is strive towards living a full life, where your overall happiness is a priority.
7 Simple Ways You Can Choose Happiness Today
If you’re unsure of where to start, I’ve compiled a list of 7 simple ways that you can choose happiness today!
- Be Mindful of your Complaints- As you speak today, pay close attention to the words that you’re using. If you know there is no productive outcome from a complaint, try working it out internally instead. This will allow you to avoid a negative or hostile environment and possibly diffuse a tense situation.
- While the people around us can sometimes seem like a blur, it’s important to remember that each person is an individual. It’s even more important to take the time to acknowledge that. This task could be something as simple as paying a compliment to your cashier. Or opening a door to a shop for the person behind you. No matter how big or small the gesture, you will be making a difference.
- Take Time for Yourself- I often feel my best when my hair and make-up is done. So it is important for me to take that time in the morning. Make sure that you carve out some time into your schedule to start your morning with a routine that will inspire confidence in you!
- Give Yourself a Pep-Talk- I PROMISE YOU that you have everything you need inside you already. You know exactly what to say to inspire you. And believing in yourself is the first step to achieving your dreams!
- SMILE- Actually, it is scientifically proven that smiling can make you happier! It’s the ultimate “fake it, ‘til you make it” technique.
- Practice Personal Growth- Our brains, bodies, relationships, and our world are far too complicated for us to ever be “finished”. For this reason, you should always be striving for personal growth! You might choose to eat healthier, practice patience, or learn something new. The possibilities are endless!
- Show Appreciation- Each day, make sure to express your appreciation to those around you. And don’t feel the need to limit your appreciation to just your family and friends! Your co-workers, bank teller, mail-carrier, and everyone in-between are all working together to help make your life complete. Make sure they know that you appreciate their hard-work.
Thank You for Reading!
Thank you to the readers who have made it this far! I would LOVE for you to comment how you are personally able to practice choosing happiness in your own life!
If you like what you’ve read so far, please consider subscribing to She Ignites! That way, you’ll never miss a post!